Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Quick Easy Place Mats

With yesterday being a go nowhere, do nothing and enjoy the first day of Spring Break day I decided to enjoy the afternoon at the sewing machine.  Why because I enjoy sewing and we needed about 20ish place mats for Easter dinner.  Well really we did not "need" them but to make it all look nice we wanted them.  With all the extra dinner prep I have done this last 2weeks like making all new napkins for everyone, coming up with the Bunny Napkins, decorating for Easter and I even purchased all new matching plates for everyone I really did not need to make place mats too but I wanted to sew and figured they would just help pull it all together.
The "need" part of them is that while we have a dining room large enough to fit two large tables and all 20 of us in here we are limited to movement once we are set for dinner.  The food is done buffet style in the kitchen and not placed on the tables as its easier than trying to pass dishes between 20guests (some that are children) and between tables.  Because of this the plates also need to be in the buffet area (kitchen).  The Oldest Daughter is determined to have each place setting (minus the plate) set at the table so what a better way to set up then on a place mat.  This will also help avoid the confusion of whose spoon is whose.

To make the process quick I chose to do just a single layer place mat and not doubled or lined.  To make them functional and durable mats I did use heavier canvas fabric and not thinner cotton material.  Since I only had to sew straight lines its also a very easy sew project that even beginners could do. Literally from start to finish and making 24 mats I was less then 2hrs.  That included some ironing at the end and the breaks needed to help the kids with stuff too.  It literally is the "quick and easy" project its described as.

Want to make some for yourself?  Here is what you need.
Canvas fabric, sewing machine, thread, measure tape or template and scissors.

You can measure out your mats to any size that works for you.  Myself I just placed an existing mat on the fabric and cut it a bit bigger (I did not measure) all the way around.

Once you have them all cut you can start sewing the seams on them.  Because I used canvas material and it tends to unravel I did a double folded seam on edges to help prevent this.  I did not iron my folds but rather just ran my fingers down the folds.  If it helps you to iron the seams please feel free to do so.  Also I did not pin the fabric prior to sewing the seams, again if this helps you please do so.

Once I completed all 24 mats I did go though and iron each one to take out any wrinkles and to press the seams down.  I do have to say I love how they turned out.  With all the fun projects I have done for Easter dinner this year I just can not wait for the day to get here so we can all enjoy them.


No comments:

Post a Comment